Job Announcement: Office Manager / Bookkeeper
Goodwin Simon Strategic Research (GSSR) is seeking an Office Manager and Bookkeeper for our Oakland, CA office. We are looking to fill this position immediately.
GSSR is a progressive, independent public opinion research firm that conducts cutting-edge quantitative and qualitative research to develop strategic communications to advance social change. Our research team brings their expertise in politics, public policy, and communications to our work for political candidates and ballot measure campaigns, nonprofit and issue advocacy organizations, foundations, and labor unions. Over the last dozen years, we have developed a whole new approach to public opinion research, message development, and message delivery (see www.heartwiredforchange.com). We work on a wide range of issues both in the United States and internationally.
For more information about the firm, visit www.goodwinsimon.com and heartwiredforchange.com.
The Office Manager plays a vital role in enabling our research team to support our clients in their important social change efforts by running the operations for our small (10 employees), busy office, tracking the company finances, maintaining our books, providing logistical support to qualitative and quantitative research projects, and providing assistance to our Bay Area Partner. The office is located in Oakland, California by the 19th Street BART Station. This position is full-time in-person in the office (remote work is not an option).
Our office is very fast-paced. The Office Manager is the person in our office who makes the trains run on time, and dots the i’s and crosses the t’s. Being organized, efficient, patient, flexible, personable, and having great attention to detail are all critically important for this role.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Tracking company finances – including invoicing clients, paying bills, reconciling bank and credit card statements, managing QuickBooks accounts, cash flow planning, working closely on finances with the Oakland-based Founding Partner, and coordinating with our accountant. This role requires dedicated, working knowledge of Quickbooks and Excel and general understanding of bookkeeping principles.
- Human resources operations – including running payroll, onboarding employees, managing staff benefits, and serving as the first point person for staff questions regarding the office space and office policies, updating the Employee Handbook.
- Managing contracts, invoicing and payments with vendors and subcontractors.
- Assisting with grant and contract management and reporting. Familiarity with grant administration is a plus.
- Overseeing general office duties such as maintaining office supplies, managing facility and vendor relationships, processing incoming mail, answering and directing calls, and coordinating with IT contractors for the office’s IT maintenance, purchasing, and security needs.
- Managing scheduling and logistics for meetings and project-related needs, including setting up and providing tech support for webinars.
- Making travel arrangements for GSSR staff.
- Acting as a personal assistant for the Bay Area partner.
If you have a passion for progressive politics and social change, this job will be more meaningful to you. A background in campaigns, non-profit organizations, or legislative offices is a plus but not required.
We cannot emphasize enough how much this job requires strong organizational, proofreading, editing, and multi-tasking skills. The applicant must be able to balance many different responsibilities and meet quick deadlines in a hardworking environment where multiple projects are occurring at the same time.
A minimum of 4-5 years of previous office experience and the ability to work independently are necessary.
These computer skills – experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Quickbooks, and Zoom – are required.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.