Job Announcement: Accountant/Bookkeeper
Goodwin Simon Strategic Research (GSSR) is seeking an Accountant/Bookkeeper. Due to company growth, we are dividing a single existing job into two separate positions. This new position will be dedicated to financial and accounting record keeping. We are looking to fill this new position as soon as possible.
This position is full-time with the option of working a hybrid in-office/remote schedule, requiring a minimum of 3 days a week in the office. The office is in Oakland, California by the 19th Street BART Station. Please note that proof of COVID vaccination is required for all of our staff.
GSSR is a progressive, independent public opinion research firm that conducts cutting-edge quantitative and qualitative research to develop strategic communications to advance social change. Our research team brings their expertise in politics, public policy, and communications to our work for political candidates and ballot measure campaigns, nonprofit and issue advocacy organizations, foundations, and labor unions. We work on a wide range of issues both in the United States and internationally.
The Accountant/Bookkeeper position will be responsible for all the financial and accounting record-keeping aspects for our growing firm of 10 employees.
Our office is very fast paced. Our office manages over 100 complex research projects per year for dozens of different clients, working with dozens of different vendors.
The Accountant/Bookkeeper will work closely with the Oakland-based Partner, outside CPA, and Office Manager and will be a valuable member of the team providing financial expertise.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Maintaining the company’s financial records in Quickbooks Desktop, including daily posting of all company transactions, processing all vendor payments, preparing all client invoices, reconciling bank and credit card statements, cash flow planning, general journal entries, and monthly and year-end financial statement preparation and analysis.
- Managing the completion and filing of all quarterly and annual financial and informational returns, including issuing 1099s, worker’s comp audits, and California corporate informational returns. Working with GSSR’s outside CPA firm, which is responsible for preparing and filing GSSR’s annual state and federal income tax returns.
- Project Accounting: Drafting client contracts and maintaining contract records, including tracking project costs and revenue against budgets.
- Collecting and maintaining subcontractor and vendor documentation such as W-9s.
- Managing payroll and employee benefits, including all aspects of payroll utilizing ADP Run, maintaining and updating employee payroll records, and working with outside providers to manage the financial aspects of all company retirement benefit plans and health insurance.
- Assisting with developing, documenting, and implementing processes to increase company efficiency and strengthen internal financial and record-keeping controls.
- Cross-training with the Office Manager and providing back-up for that position, as necessary.
- All other duties assigned as this position evolves and grows.
Skills and experience required to be successful include:
- Three to five years of general ledger accounting experience from data input to financial statement preparation and year-end closing, including managing financial records retention.
- Three to four years of managing all aspects of employee payroll including year-end compliance reporting and employee benefit management (PTO, insurance, 401(k) plan).
- Project management accounting experience including contract file maintenance, budget tracking, and reporting is desirable
- A Bachelor’s or Associate degree in accounting, business, or other relevant course of study.
- Strong knowledge of the following software is required: Quickbooks Desktop, ADP Run (or similar payroll software), Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel), and Zoom.
A qualified candidate should be highly organized, have strong attention to detail, be accurate with numbers, be able to work independently, possess strong critical thinking skills, and be flexible, patient, and personable.
Starting salary is $75,000 with opportunities for advancement. Compensation also includes generous PTO (two weeks of paid vacation and paid holiday leave from December 24 through January 1), company-funded health insurance, 401(k) match and 401(k) profit-sharing plan.
If working for a firm with a mission to advance progressive politics and social change is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.